At my former job, I worked as a nanny/personal chef/personal assistant. I wore many hats and I had a lot of fun because I love feeling productive and busy. One of my favorite hats to wear is my chef hat! I love being creative in the kitchen and it was fun working for a family that was open-minded and gave me the freedom to prepare exotic dishes. I would have to say out of everything I cooked for them, this was their most favorite meal. They requested this paella time and time again and I believe I now have it down to a science. This paella has so many fond memories attached to it, accompanied with many glasses of delicious red wine. It is my pleasure to share this sexy version of paella with all of you. I hope you enjoy it as is or experiment and make your own special version! Buen provecho!!!
Serves 4-6 People
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken
- 1 lb Medium Sized Shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 a Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 a Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 a Large Yellow or Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 package of White Button or Baby Bella Mushrooms rinsed and chopped
- 5 or 6 garlic cloves minced or sliced thin
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Adobo Seasoning
- Oregano Seasoning
- 1 small bag of Triple Washed Spinach or 1/2 a regular size box of Organic Spinach
- 1/2 a jar of Organic Tomato Sauce Marinara or Tomato Basil (I use Rao’s)
- Brown Rice (cook separately)
- Make brown rice first! Factor in the 45 minutes it needs to cook.
- In a small to medium pot add 1 cup brown rice and 2 cups water.
- Add olive oil and salt and pepper to the pot and mix together.
- Bring rice and water to a boil, then cover with tight fitting lid and lower heat to low for 45 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, you may now start your paella!
- In a very large sauce pan drizzle olive oil and add garlic, mushrooms, onions and peppers. Cook on medium heat.
- Sautee veggies until they begin to soften, then add your ground turkey/chicken.
- Season ground turkey/chicken generously with Adobo seasoning.
- Cook ground turkey/chicken until cooked through.
- Next, add your shrimp.
- Once shrimp start to turn pink in color add your tomato sauce.
- Season entire dish with salt, pepper and oregano. Taste for preference.
- Lightly sprinkle cayenne pepper for heat and spiciness. (A little goes a long way)
- At the end add your spinach and mix in until wilted.
- Last add the rice to the large saucepan and mix together!!
- Voila! A beautiful meal!!