As the weather cools down, I find myself craving warm, comforting meals. Today I had an intense craving for meatballs! I have never made them before in my life and I have always enjoyed them. I have started the tradition of going to the farmer’s market every Wednesday in Union Square and my new goal each week has been to buy a vegetable I have never prepared before. I decided to try spaghetti squash. I love the taste and the texture, but I have always been intimidated by it so I never bought it. I decided that tonight’s dinner would be a challenge and since I was not in a rush I would embrace the challenge. This was a very fun and messy meal to make. I definitely recommend this meal when you have plenty of time. This would be a fun and interactive meal to make with kids. It involves getting your hands quite dirty and I think kiddos would be very amused by the way the spaghetti squash flakes off with your fork like strands of hair!! I’m a grown woman and it was very amusing and exciting to me!! This meal is as fun to make as it is to eat!! My kitchen may have looked like a bomb went off in it, but it was totally worth it!! Hearty and delicious, this dish is satisfying and guilt-free!! I didn’t miss the pasta one bit and I didn’t have that bloated feeling you get after spaghetti and meatballs. This recipe is a hit!!
Savory Meatballs (Prep-10 minutes Cook-15 minutes)
- 1 Medium Saucepan
- 1 Oven Pan
- 1 Jar of Organic all natural Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb Ground Pork/Beef mix
- 1/2 cup or less Breadcrumbs (preference)
- 1 Egg
- A few dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Leek finely chopped (white part only)
- 3-4 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Get your saucepan out and pour your tomato sauce in.
- Season sauce to your preference and leave on burner. Do not turn on yet.
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- In a large bowl place your ground meat inside.
- Add leek and garlic to the bowl.
- Add 1 cracked egg.
- Add in your breadcrumbs.
- Add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and a moderate sprinkling of garlic powder, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Time to get messy!!
- Mix well with your clean bare hands. Make sure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Get out your ungreased oven pan.
- Time to roll!!
- Roll meat into small to medium balls and place on oven pan leaving space in between.
- Before placing meatballs into the oven, go ahead and get the spaghetti squash prepped and place in microwave (SEE BELOW). This way both are ready together.
- Place meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn halfway.
- Turn on your sauce on your stove to medium heat.
- Add cooked meatballs into the sauce and mix well.
- Once the sauce is bubbling and meatballs are mixed in sauce, you are done!!
- Voila!! Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs!!
Spaghetti Squash (15 minutes)
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Microwave safe dish
- Unsalted Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Slice dotted slits lengthwise down the spaghetti squash where you plan to cut it in half.
- place on a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove hot plate from microwave with proper protective mitts.
- Cut spaghetti squash where slits are in half now that it is soft.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- The fun part!! Remove all seeds with a spoon.
- Next, using a fork scrape out both sides of spaghetti squash into a large bowl, it will look just like pasta!
- Add a few dabs of unsalted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and serve immediately with your delicious meatballs!!